So, our yard could probably be designated as a wildlife habitat, and natural ecosystem. A few years ago, we even had a toad living in it! Apparently that’s a good and fairly certain sign of a healthy ecosystem. However, the humans are important, too. The yard just isn’t working for us in some ways that’d we’d like it to.
I would love to add a bench or wooden swing (like a porch swing), and put it near a really good tree like a red maple or magnolia.
If you look at the large bright green mass slightly to the right of the little house (this is an OLD picture!) you are seeing a veritable thicket. It has recently become outlined in tall itchy weeds, which we have to brush past if walking to the compost pile. We’ve been focused on other things; aside from general life stuff, there’s the little house to work on, and that has been pretty consuming.
Anyway, today I spent an hour with a pitchfork and shovel and was able to clear a 4’x4′ section of those weeds (some Virginia creeper in there! good thing I got that out) and fill an industrial size trash bin. Needless to say, I am tired and well-deserving of rest (which all of us deserve anyway, regardless of how much we accomplish!!).
Oh, and there are new pictures coming soon! (As soon as I take them!) We’ve made a ton of progress on trim and siding!
Only a week or so ago, I got back out in the yard. The weather was lovely and I could smell someone burning wood a few yards away. I opened the door of the Little House to air it out.
A Giant spider was hanging from one wall. I cleansed the top portion of the camper (which I’ve been told is broken) using pine sol in water. Sometimes I’m not as eco-friendly as I’d like to be, but that thing was disgusting!
So today we’re on our way to Lowe’s to attempt to acquire a fire pit. Wish us luck! I will post pictures when it’s firmly rooted in place.
So, not long ago (only several months…) I drew a second plan drawing and accompanying task list.
I’ve removed the Formica table to the trash (check!), photographed and removed the walnut table to my uncle’s house (check!), worked on painting the coffee table, moved the hoses outside the house temporarily, stacked the wood, picked up the nails and screws and put them in a container, grouped the gutter pipe and fittings, and done some clearing in the outer area to even out the turf- so that we can put in a fire pit.
What’s next? Well…. I’ll have to make a new task list! 🙂
I have done a lot of work removing invasive plants, lately. The Rose of Sharon spawns a lot of fast-growing new plants… Whew. Hundreds, at least. Be warned, should you ever decide to put one in your yard. And then there’s ivy which reaches over from ‘the pit’.
Here’s photos of clear steps, a clearer ‘future-fire-pit’ area, and the side of the house which was entirely covered with vines at one point. Also, the (cleaner) lock from the table, and my gourd plant!
We’re on our way to a cozy fire-pit and a clear and easy path to the Little House. So Mote It Be.
So to some, this may appear to be backward progress, because there is More behind the door than there was last time! But notice… other than the wood crates it’s all new stuff, not anything that was previously in the shed (or my possession). What flows out makes room for new to flow in. I am happy and excited about my new projects.
The walnut table-top has found a new home with a wood-carver. The new furniture stash represents 4 new renovation projects, one of which is the white desk in the pictures. This desk is an antique school-desk. I removed the locking mechanism to clean the rust off of (and out of) it. Not sure yet what method I’ll be using to remove the old paint.
Task list for the table:
remove old paint
secure the front legs
clean and polish the lock
refit the lock
Soon I’ll be posting pictures of a lovingly hand-painted school-desk.